There are many answers to this question. When I am consulting small businesses that are starting up or floundering, the most common answers are:
1) To be my own boss.
2)I have a great idea that will make me rich.
3)I want to create the perfect ___________. Fill in the blank-SANDWICH, LANDSCAPE, LEGAL DOCUMENT.
The answer should be:
I love running a business. I enjoy the challenges and bookkeeeping, there is no other job that I can imagine enjoying as much.
This is because after you scratch the surface, all businesses share the same traits underneath. They all sell something, hopefully for a profit. Running a business is more about business management than the type of business you are in. If you don't enjoy organization, managing money, bugeting, acting on self-motivation, and managing staff, you are in for heartache if you decide to start your own business.
Being your own boss is a doulbe edged sword. If you have trouble motivating yourself to work out, or you were the type to skip a lot of college courses, you probably won't make it in business. There are very few laws that protect businesses the same way they protect a private consumer. You will be completely and solely responsible for your degree of success. You don't have to listen to anyone else tell you what to do, but you don't have anyone explaining and making sure you give it pne hundred and ten percent every day.
Many people decide to open a business because of a hobby or a dream they have. They say to themselves, "I just love __________ (JEWELRY, COOKING, BAKING). Wouldn't it be great to open my own business and do what I love?"
The answer is no. You won't be doing that thing that you love, such as tinkering with antiques. Your staff will be doing it, or perhaps you will spend part of your day in your favorite past-time, you'll be ordering, advertising, mahaging bank accounts, managing employees, getting payroll done and sales tax paid on time.
If you lack the skills and experience in thses areas, you can take a business course at a local commege, or learn as you go. If you don't enjoy the business end of your business, work for someone else and let them worry about the daily grind while you do what you love.
If, on the other hand, you love the idea of business management, be flexible as to what you sell. Businesses are businesses underneath.
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment